The Gateway Blog is "A place to read about events, hear about opportunities, and catch all the little details of what's going on at Gateway!"
However, posting has been rather sparse. The "Year in Review" about 2014 was wonderful -- but it was posted almost three months ago. Wouldn't it be nice to post that much about events at Gateway -- as they are happening?
This is Sondy Eklund writing, and I've been given permission to post on the Gateway blog. Here's the background: Last Spring, Pastor Ed asked me to act as Church Historian. They gave me a journal to use, and I've been putting in weekly bulletins, special event flyers, and transcribing my sermon notes.
However, I've been fundamentally discontent with the results. In the first place, writing in a journal seems like writing into a vacuum. As long as the journal is at my house, no one else reads it. Second, as long as the journal is at my house, no one else writes in it. And third, it really needs photographs.
A solution to those problems? Let's use the Gateway Blog! I'd like it to be a way to keep a record of the life of Gateway and to connect with one another during the week. These are some of the things I'd like to feature:
- Sermon Response. This can get much more interesting than transcribing notes when it's in blog form. What things struck you about the sermon? How did it touch your life? This will be all the more interesting if many in the congregation will comment.
- Small Group Features. Each week, I'd like to feature a Small Group. What are they studying? What are some answered prayers they have seen? How has this group touched the lives of its members? I hope at least one member of each group would be willing to write these features.
- Service Team Features. Teams run Gateway. The Missions Team, the Equipment Team, the Prayer Team, the Worship Team.... So many others. It would be nice to get information from team members about what each team does, what their needs are, and what it is like to serve on that team.
- Teacher Interviews from Kidztown and Youth Group. What age level do they teach? What do they enjoy about it? How has teaching our youth touched their lives?
- Personal History. How has Gateway touched your life? This would be a little more retrospective, talking with a variety of people in the congregation about how Gateway has touched their lives over the years.
- Missionary Features. It would be lovely to read profiles of the missionaries Gateway supports and get current prayer requests.
- Special Event Coverage. To start, who would like to volunteer to write about the Father-Daughter Dance?
What do you think? Do you have any other ideas of regular features we should have?
That last feature brings up my most important point: These ideas will work out in the greatest ways if writing the blog is a Team endeavor.
We have lots of excellent writers and photographers at Gateway. The more of you who contribute, the better the blog will serve our community.
There are different ways you could contribute. One perfectly acceptable way would be on occasion, as you have material. For photographers, if you get some pictures of a Gateway event, please send them to this blog. For writers, it would be lovely to get guest posts from members of the different Small Groups and service teams. For special events, a post will be better if the reporter is actually there. In addition, if someone wants to post a sermon response, or do a post about an answered prayer or a way Gateway has touched your life, please also contact me.
We could also form a regular team and get on a rotation for doing these various posts. This would be a way to be much more reliable about posting, if we spread out the load.
And photographers, get taking pictures! Let's not wait until the end of the year to post pictures of the people of Gateway.
If any of this appeals to you, please talk with me, Sondy Eklund, as I begin forming a team!